Third month of pregnancy - symptoms, baby development and physical changes
Pregnancy is a phase that requires special care, so that the pregnant woman herself remains healthy and can give birth to a healthy baby. Here we are talking about the third month of pregnancy. The third month of pregnancy brings all kinds of changes in the pregnant woman's body. During this, the development of the child also starts happening rapidly, which can be easily felt. In this article of MyBabyCare, we will give some important information related to the third month of pregnancy (9th week to 12th week).
symptoms of the third month of pregnancy
1. Morning sickness: By the third month of pregnancy, the feeling of vomiting and nausea can reach its peak, but by the end of the month this problem will start decreasing. Most pregnant women come out of problems like vomiting by the end of the first trimester.
2. Fatigue: During pregnancy, changes in hormonal levels make a woman feel sleepy and tired. Since the body needs extra blood to supply essential nutrients in the womb, it affects your blood pressure and blood sugar levels, making you feel tired.
3. Frequent urination: Due to the production of HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) hormone in the body, there may be a problem of more urination than before. The increase in blood volume puts pressure on your kidneys. Apart from this, the growing uterus puts pressure on the bladder, due to which you may also have problems with frequent urination.
4. Constipation: The increase in progesterone hormone levels during the third month of pregnancy slows down the digestive process, which can lead to constipation. Improper diet can also be a cause of constipation.
5. Vaginal Discharge: There may be a slight increase in vaginal discharge due to high levels of estrogen.
6. Cramps in the legs: During this time, while sleeping at night, cramps and pain in the legs can disturb the pregnant. Lack of potassium and iron can cause cramps during pregnancy.
7. Back pain and abdominal pain: Due to changes in hormonal levels, you may have back pain. Apart from this, due to the stretching of the growing uterus, pain is felt in the lower part of the abdomen.
8. Change in temperament: Due to the hormonal changes taking place in your body during the third trimester, there may be changes in your temperament. In such a situation, problems like irritability, getting angry on talk, and crying for no reason is natural.
9. Bleeding gums: Changes in hormonal levels can cause swelling and bleeding gums. For this, you should take special care of the cleanliness of the mouth.
10. Heartburn: As the baby develops in the womb, it slows down the process of digesting food. Your growing uterus starts putting pressure on the abdomen, which leads to the problem of burning.
11. Heart to eat again and again: The pregnant woman will have the heart to eat something again and again. Also, at times you will not like the smell of your own favorite food.
Let us now know what changes can come in the third month.
body changes in the third month of pregnancy
The third month of pregnancy brings many changes in the body. In this, not only do you need to adopt the right lifestyle, but you have to take special care of the diet. However, below we are telling what changes happen in the body in the third month:
How much does your belly grow in the third month?
By the third month of pregnancy, your uterus becomes the size of a grapefruit. Not only the stomach but by the third month there are other changes in the body, which are as follows:
1. Breasts become heavier: During this period, milk may start to form in the breasts, due to which they may become heavy. In addition, the color around the nipple may darken.
2. Visible veins: As the amount of blood in your body increases, your heart starts pumping faster. It is common for veins to appear on the breasts.
3. Weight gain: By the third month of pregnancy, the pregnant may start gaining weight. It is okay to gain one to two kilos in the third month. Since the fetus is still small, it is not good to gain more weight than this. However, some women lose weight due to morning sickness.
4. Visibility of Stretch Marks: Stretch marks can also appear in the third month of pregnancy due to the enlargement of the abdomen and breasts.
5. Dry skin and itching: Due to changing hormones, the skin can become dry, which can cause an itching problem. It can be relieved by using soap or moisturizer with glycerin.
6. Black streak emerging on the abdomen: Due to the hormonal changes in pregnancy, a black streak emerges on the lower part of the abdomen by the third month. It is called linea nigra in the medical language.
Come, now let's know what are the changes in the baby to be born.
Baby's growth and size in the third month of pregnancy
You can feel the changes in your body, but in the third month, the baby's movements cannot be felt. Lack of movement in the womb can make you nervous or upset, but there is no need to panic. Here, we will tell how the baby develops in the womb till the third month:
- By the third month, the size of the fetus in the womb is the size of a berry or a lemon.
- By the end of the third month, that is, by the 12th week, your baby is about 2.5 inches long. Its weight can be around 28 grams.
- During this, the child's heart starts working. The development of kidneys, eyes, and genitals takes place this month.
Come, now we know how to pay attention to food and drink in the third month.
Diet in the third month of pregnancy
Before pregnancy, you were eating only for yourself and the food of your choice, but now you are eating not only for yourself but also for the baby to come. In such a situation, it is important that you take special care of your food and drink. Take special care of what you should and should not eat in this condition:
What to eat in the third month of pregnancy?
- Foods rich in Vitamin-6: This month, the problem of nausea is very high. For this, you should eat foods rich in Vitamin B6. Include eggs, green leafy vegetables, etc. in your diet.
- Fresh Fruit Juice: Drinking fresh fruit juice is beneficial during pregnancy. It gives you all the essential vitamins.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are essential during pregnancy. For this, along with whole grains, including wheat flour bread, rice, and potatoes in your diet.
- Meat: If you are a non-vegetarian, then consume meat during pregnancy. Just make sure the meat is well cooked.
- Iron and Folate: Iron and folate are very important for the development of the baby in the womb. Due to its deficiency, there is a risk of many types of physical disorders in the baby. Therefore, including iron and folate in your diet. For this, include beetroot, chikoo, oatmeal, beans, orange, potato, broccoli, egg, and green vegetables.
- Dairy products: Since calcium is needed by both you and your baby, include dairy products in your diet to make up for it. For this, take milk, curd, cheese, and ghee, etc.
What should not be eaten in the third month of pregnancy?
Below we are going to tell what should not be eaten in the third month of pregnancy:
- Junk food and alcohol: Avoid junk food, alcohol, and tobacco, etc. in the third month of pregnancy. Apart from this, reduce the consumption of tea, coffee, and chocolate, etc.
- Seafood: It would be better to avoid seafood during this time, as it may contain high mercury, which is harmful for the fetus.
- Canned food: Do not eat canned food during pregnancy. Be it pickle or juice. Actually, some chemicals are added to make them run for a long time, which are harmful to health.
- Raw meat and raw eggs: Do not eat raw meat and raw eggs during pregnancy. It contains bacteria called Salmonella and Listeria, which have a bad effect on the fetus.
In this part of the article, you will know what types of exercises should be done during this time.
Exercises for the third month of pregnancy
- Weight training: You can do weight training in the third month of pregnancy. This strengthens the body and prepares the body to bear the weight of pregnancy. Weight training can be done twice a week.
- Running: If you already run, then running can be beneficial during this time, but keep in mind that you should not run on any broken road and do it slowly while not running too fast. As soon as you feel tired, stop running immediately.
- Swimming: Swimming is considered beneficial in the early stages of pregnancy. Your weight in water is lighter than on land, which will give you comfort. Keep in mind that swimming should always be done under the supervision of an instructor.
- Walking: Morning and evening walks can be beneficial in the third month of pregnancy. With this, you will feel refreshed and blood circulation will also happen smoothly.
- Pilates exercise: Pilates exercise can also be done in the third month of pregnancy. This strengthens the abdomen, back, and pelvis.
It is also important for a pregnant woman to know which tests are done in the third month.
Scans and tests during the third month of pregnancy
Along with proper diet, regular exercise, a regular medical check-up is also necessary during pregnancy. Know, what tests and scans are done in the third month of pregnancy:
- weight and blood pressure will be checked.
- Abdominal measurements can be taken to find out the size of the uterus.
- In this month, you will be able to hear the heartbeat of the baby.
Lab tests to be done in the third month of pregnancy:
- Urine test to check sugar and protein levels.
- A sample of your blood will be taken to check the Rh factor in the blood. It measures the amount of protein in the blood.
- If you have swelling in your hands and feet, a fluid retention test is done for that.
Scans to be done in the third month of pregnancy:
- Nuchal translucency (NT) scan: This examines the fluid present at the back of the baby's head. This scan is called the '12 week scan. The level of this fluid is measured to determine the risk of Down's syndrome. Down's syndrome is a genetic health condition. It can hinder the development of the fetus in which it is found in the womb.
- Maternal Serum Test: In this, the blood of a pregnant woman is tested. This scan is usually done between the 11th and 13th weeks of pregnancy. This test is done to check pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A (PAPP-A) and human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) levels.
- Chorionic villus sampling (CVS): In this, a sample of the chorionic villus is taken from the placenta. This sample is taken from the cervix or abdominal wall. Through this, genetic diseases are detected in the child. Well, now this test is not so common and is done in a few cases.
- Ultrasound: With the help of ultrasound, the position of the placenta in the uterus and the detection of amniotic fluid helps.
Can ultrasound tell the sex of the baby?
Since the sex of the baby is developing during this time, it is difficult to determine the gender. Correct results are rarely possible with tests done before the 12th week. However, in India, it is a legal offense to know the sex of the baby before birth. Doing so can result in jail.
Come, now let us also know about the precautions to be taken during this time.
Precautions during the third month of pregnancy – Do's and Don'ts
In the third month of pregnancy, many precautions have to be taken while eating and exercising. Know what to do and what not to do during the third month.
- Eat rich and nutritious food.
- Get maximum rest.
- Take necessary supplements as per the doctor's advice. It is essential for the development of the child.
- Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating and always keep hands clean.
- The problem of bleeding gums during this time is common, so get your teeth checked up regularly.
- Be active. Think of the names of the children, put pictures of the children in the room. Doing this will reduce stress.
Tips for a future father
Taking care of the pregnancy is not only the responsibility of the pregnant but also the father-to-be. Therefore, the future father should also fulfill some of his special responsibilities, such as:
- The physical condition of the pregnant is weak, so try to support her in household chores.
- It is possible that pregnant women are cut off from other people to take care of themselves, so support them by being around them and do not let them feel lonely.
- During this time you can also go out for a walk with your wife.
At the end of the article, know the answers to some questions asked by the readers regarding this topic.
Frequently asked questions
If I'm three months pregnant, when is my due date?
The due date is the estimated date of birth of the baby. It is calculated by adding 40 weeks to the first day of your last period.
Is it possible to detect Neural Tube Defects during the third month?
Neural tube defects are a type of defect involving the brain or spinal cord. It can be detected with the help of an NT scan between the 11th to 13th week of pregnancy.
In conclusion, it would be right to say that the third month of pregnancy is very delicate. Therefore, pregnant women and all the members of the household need to take special care. You can make this time pleasant by following the necessary precautions mentioned in this article. You must share this information with all those familiar women who are in the third month of pregnancy.